Skip to main content

Caught short - how to avoid "blowing the diet" when life surprises you

It becomes clear, the more I work with clients on their nutrition skills, that knowing what to eat to meet their health goals is rarely their real sticking point. Most people who are aware enough to seek out a nutrition coach know what to eat; they just have trouble making that happen consistently. Life gets in the way.

A little while back I wrote about how our social obligations can sabotage our healthy eating plans. Today I want to look at what happens when life throws a curveball and you get the opportunity to go off plan.

Planning and Preparation Prevent Profuse Profligacy


So yes, you might know what you would like to do with your nutrition, but how are you going to achieve that?

The first rule of nutrition, is that if the food is there, you will eat it. If it is not, then you cannot eat it.

Because of this, shopping, meal planning and food preparation are the most important skills for anyone wanting to work on their eating habits.

So lets say we have identified that you have a tendency to eat half a packet of shortbread with your morning coffee and that would be a good area to work on. We could look at reducing the number of shortbread by one or two to start with, that's the "low hanging fruit" or we could go for all out replacement. You no longer keep shortbread in your cupboard, or maybe you keep a snack pack of 2 biscuits for emergencies, and you choose a slightly healthier alternative, then make sure that is always in the cupboard instead.

Letting go of the shortbread sounds harder (I understand, I'm a recovering shortbread addict too) but actually, it's easier to replace it, and take away the option. That way you don't have to make the decision to stop reaching for the packet when it's RIGHT THERE LOOKING AT YOU.

Often automating decisions, having a plan set out in advance, is a great way to help you towards your goals. Making decisions is hard. It's harder when you are hungry, or tired, or when you have had a lot on your mind (we call this decision fatigue). Take away the need to make a decision and everything gets simpler.

When life goes off the rails


So I am talking to a client about how her week in food choices has gone, and she is making great progress, but there's been a couple of slip ups, which is also GREAT because that gives us something chewy to work on

On Tuesday, she had to unexpectedly work late. She worked past lunch time and then had to go on to an appointment. So she ran by the supermarket and picked up something easy. It was unexpected. She was tired and really hungry. So she slipped into the easiest routine, and grabbed a sausage roll and a sugary drink. 

Then at the weekend, she was driving to see her family. She stopped at a service station to eat, which wasn't something she had really thought about. So she got a burger and fries from the fast food counter. She ate it because she was hungry, but she admitted she didn't even really enjoy it, she's lost her taste for that kind of thing. It was just that's where her old routines automatically took her.

Get your gameplan on


The solution to this problem is fairly simple. You have to expect the unexpected! Have a plan for when you go off plan!

I got this article in my email recently, about what a nutritionist would eat at Gregg's. It was quite fun, and it got me thinking about what I would do. I didn't have to think very long though, because I have a plan.

Actually the first thing I thought is "if I'm in Greggs,  I'm getting a doughnut because Gregg's is probably on a high street, which means there will be a small food store nearby and *that* is where I am going if I want to get something healthy".

This is my gameplan. If I need to buy a quick lunch from a high street or supermarket situation, I have a chicken salad sandwich on sliced granary bread (not a baguette). Sorted. Everyone has them. I do have an alternate, which is to go to the deli section and buy sliced or fillets of chicken and eat that with a green salad or one of those pots of beans and green stuff - or in an absolute push, with a pack or raw, pre-prepared veg (carrot sticks, baby corn, raw brocolli), and a yoghurt. It's not standard sandwich-section fare, but it's generically available and it fits my plan.

Or I eat a tin of fish, because I've always got one in my handbag, with a fork. Yes, I know, my tin of fish thing is weird, but it works for me!

Have a gameplan for service stations, coffee shops, children's parties, buffets. Know what you are most likely to see on offer there, and decide in advance, how you are going to make that work for you?

Have non perishables in your cupboards at home. Stuff you can throw in your bag if you are called out at short notice and need a packed lunch. Things like oatcakes, peanut butter, instant protein porridge, protein bars, tins of fish! Dried fruit, nuts, apples... It doesn't matter what it is, as long as you like it, and it fits your nutrition goals. Make sure that is always restocked.

Eating healthy shouldn't feel restrictive


The key to sustainable healthy eating, is to develop habits that fit into your lifestyle, so that your go-to foods at any point are the ones that keep you on track towards your goals. Highly restrictive eating is difficult, stress and complication makes it hard to keep with. The habits we do keep are the ones that are simple and enjoyable to practice day after day.

I've had personal training clients ask me for a meal plan, but this isn't something I offer. It's not helpful as it is so easily thrown off course. What is better is to start with their current eating habits, and gradually make comfortable, achievable adjustments, to mould it into something that better fits their needs. Learning skills like recognising hunger and satiety, or building balanced meals, or selecting a well-aligned choice from *any* menu mean that they can cope with whatever strange situations they find themselves in, without feeling like they have gone "off track". 

Sometimes, it still goes awry, and that's OK too. Learning to enjoy the process and accept the ups and downs with curiosity and good humour means that to odd inconsistency is all just part of the ride, and nothing to dwell too hard on.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Managing Fibromyalgia flares

I've written before about living with EDS and Fibromyalgia ,  much of my personal fitness and health practices are geared around managing those conditions and keeping me as well as I can be. When managing a chronic health condition, particularly one that involves fatigue and potential flare ups, pacing, good nutrition, good sleep and generally taking care of yourself is always the first priority. Ideally we want to have as few flares as possible. But sometimes they still happen, and when they do, it's good to have a strategy in place. And I'm going to be talking in fairly general terms, because while EDS and Fibro are my personal experience, there is so little understanding of the mechanisms behind these conditions, that most strategies are going to be applicable to a number of conditions where crashes of exhaustion and pain are a feature. So what is a flare? A flare is a period where someone with chronic illness suffers increased symptoms for a short while. The

Step away from the scale. Why weigh ins and weight loss don't match.

I have a persistant bugbear when it comes to health coaching, and it's this issue of "weight". People are often talking about "losing weight", the number on the scale becomes a focus. "If only I could just get under 65kg" they say. Or worse I see advertised "buy this supplement and you can lose 20kg in a fortnight". I've found myself frequently sitting with a weight-focussed client and asking "if you were 2 dress sizes smaller, fit and toned, but you weighed the same as you do now, could you be happy with that?" You might be surprised how challenging a question that can be. For many people, particularly those who have struggled with weight loss, that number is the absolute key. They can wake up, feeling energised and full of life, slip into those jeans that used to live hopefully in the bottom of the drawer, check themselves in the mirror and love what they see... then they step on the scales, see the number is half a kilo

Is being polite sabotaging your weight loss?

I've been thinking a lot lately about the barriers that make it hard for people to stick to healthy habits, or even take them up in the first place. My personal training clients are a lovely bunch, and one thing I can certainly say is that none of them have come to me completely uninformed about healthy eating. Most people have done some homework before they get to the point of hiring me, and while I always go over the basics (never assume anything) I know that when I tell them stuff like this, it's not new information to them: Eat less to lose weight Eat protein with every meal Eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day Consume high sugar and fat treats rarely and in moderate portions Drink water with every meal or snack Exercise regularly That's not rocket science, so why are so many people still struggling with it? Is it because "the rules" are more complicated? Are they missing the "weird trick" (spoiler alert, there are no weird tricks

My top apps for supporting a healthy lifestyle.

The hardest part of making healthy choices and lifestyle changes is making it a habit. It's easy to make a decision to "eat better", "exercise more" or whatever your current plan is. It's a lot harder to stick to it on the rough days, for long enough that it becomes a habit and part of your life that you can't imagine being without. I love a bit of tech. I am a super geeky science nerd and finding ways to use technology to support my health and fitness makes me very happy. So with this in mind I thought I'd give a quick run down of my favourite smartphone apps for developing and maintaining healthy habits. Habitica I'm starting with this one because it's mad and I love it. Habitica is basically a to-do list app, but it's specially for the gamers among us. If you are familiar with Dungeons and Dragons, and all the games that grew out of that system and fantasy world, you will recognise Habitica. The app allows you to create 3 t

What's the deal with yoga and hypermobility?

I wanted to address a question today that keeps coming up on various hypermobility and EDS forums that I frequent. It comes up so often in fact that I feel like I have to write this all up in one place, to save me 1000s of key strokes of individual responses and distil some of my opinions and thought processes on the matter. It always goes like this. Someone asks a question like "I've just been diagnosed with hypermobility, I've been told I can't do yoga anymore..." The responses are always a mixture of "yes, my doctor/physio told me yoga was the worst thing I could do for my hypermobility" and "I do yoga and it's been the best thing for my hypermobility". So what gives? Well, I'm firmly in the "yoga is useful" camp, and I have to disclose that. I'm a yoga practitioner of around 20 years and a perinatal yoga teacher , as well as a personal trainer and bendy person. While I have the deepest respect for the medic