Skip to main content

4 reasons why you should eat

I feel ridiculous writing this post.

It should be excruciatingly obvious.

But it's not.

Everywhere I look I am seeing messages about not-eating.

"don't eat these things"
"don't eat very much"
"don't eat at this time"

And frankly, it's not very healthy. Physically or mentally.

So what I'm going to talk about today is why it is important to focus on eating, rather than not-eating, when working towards your health-improving goals. And yes, even, no, especially, when one of those goals is fat loss.

Fuel for your activities

So food is fuel for your body. It provides the energy you need to function. Your body uses carbohydrates and fat as fuel. It can use protein, but only when under quite a lot of pressure. Your brain can only fuel itself on glucose (carbohydrate) and you can only metabolise fat in the presence of carbohydrate ("fat burns in a carbohydrate flame").

When your body runs low on fuel, you feel tired, sluggish, and can't think straight. So eat. Regularly. 

And eat some carbs.  Not handfuls of jellybeans, but complex carbohydrates, with fibre, like whole grains, which help you to maintain steady levels of blood sugar to fuel your activities.

"Activity" is the key. If you are interested in losing some fat mass, you need to be active. Firstly because you will use more energy through activity than you can save by cutting your diet (and I am deliberately saying "activity" rather than exercise, because it's really all about keeping steadily on the move all the time, not spending 20 minutes doing some cardio then sitting down the rest of the day) and also because being thin is no fun if you are too hungry and weak to leave the house.

Move more, eat mindfully. But do eat.

There is one thing I need to mention here, which is the understanding that we burn fat less efficiently when blood insulin levels are high. This is the reasoning behind a practice known as "fasted cardio".

I'm not going to recommend fasted cardio, it's a contentious subject and there is not enough evidence that a) it works and b) it doesn't cause more harm than good. I'm going to give you a link for information and a couple of key warnings: Firstly, your performance will be impaired, this is a given, it will make your workout physically and psychologically harder - you won't work so hard, you won't burn so many calories, you won't get as strong an afterburn. Secondly, some people work out after a very long fast. Sensible people leave no more than 3 hours after a meal. That is plenty enough for anyone.

If you want to avoid high insulin levels during your workout, eat a balanced meal, with complex carbs (low GI) a couple of hours before you train. You get the fuel you need to perform, but without raising your insulin levels. That's not a fancy "trick" that's the standard advice for everyone.


Boost your metabolism


Do you know how your basal metabolic rate is calculated? You don't have to, all you need to know is that one of those components is the energy expended in processing the stuff you smash in your face.

So if you eat, actual real food, your body expends energy processing it. If you eat dust with added water you might get adequate nutrition (note I say adequate, not optimal) and you might get the same number of calories, but your body will expend very little absorbing it. This is why meal replacement shakes, soups etc originated for sick and elderly people - for people who needed easy nutrition to support their weakened systems. Not for healthy people who want to lose a bit of fat sustainably.

It's also well understood that cutting too many calories from your diet is not good for your health and should only be done temporarily and under the advice and supervision of a qualified dietitian. There's a lot of factors interplaying that affect how your body receives and processes calories, this is an excellent breakdown for the geeks amongst us, but what it boils down to is that the recommendation for sustainable weight loss is a daily deficit of around 500 calories, half of which should come from increased activity. For reasons stated in the Precision Nutrition article, you might not get the 1lb a week weight loss you might expect, not every week, some will be faster and sometimes it will grind to a halt, but stick with it and you will see results that stick with you. For some light hearted advice about this, check out this post, and this album on my Facebook feed.

Regulating your mood


Admit it. You are miserable when you are hungry. No one like it. Get over it and eat something.



Feed your willpower


Did you know that it's actually really hard to make good choices when your blood sugar is low? Of course you did, because everyone knows that you shouldn't do your grocery shopping on an empty stomach. When your brain isn't fuelled right you find it harder to get off your resistant butt and work out, you find it harder to resist another chocolate biscuit, or a cheeky portion of chips on our way home. This is why people who eat breakfast eat better, it sets them up for a morning of clear headedness and positive choices. Don't go making decisions on an empty stomach.

So instead of focusing about not-eating, let's concentrate on eating. Let's eat to fuel our bodies properly for activity, growth and healing. Let's eat good stuff that feels good to chew and sits comfortably in our bellies. Let's eat things that make us happy and keep our minds in good order, and let's stop trying to convince ourselves that there is anything wrong with that.

If you want more personalised advice about improving your health and wellbeing, head on over to Fire Lotus Fitness, where I offer a load of accessible options for in-person and online personal training.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Managing Fibromyalgia flares

I've written before about living with EDS and Fibromyalgia ,  much of my personal fitness and health practices are geared around managing those conditions and keeping me as well as I can be. When managing a chronic health condition, particularly one that involves fatigue and potential flare ups, pacing, good nutrition, good sleep and generally taking care of yourself is always the first priority. Ideally we want to have as few flares as possible. But sometimes they still happen, and when they do, it's good to have a strategy in place. And I'm going to be talking in fairly general terms, because while EDS and Fibro are my personal experience, there is so little understanding of the mechanisms behind these conditions, that most strategies are going to be applicable to a number of conditions where crashes of exhaustion and pain are a feature. So what is a flare? A flare is a period where someone with chronic illness suffers increased symptoms for a short while. The

Step away from the scale. Why weigh ins and weight loss don't match.

I have a persistant bugbear when it comes to health coaching, and it's this issue of "weight". People are often talking about "losing weight", the number on the scale becomes a focus. "If only I could just get under 65kg" they say. Or worse I see advertised "buy this supplement and you can lose 20kg in a fortnight". I've found myself frequently sitting with a weight-focussed client and asking "if you were 2 dress sizes smaller, fit and toned, but you weighed the same as you do now, could you be happy with that?" You might be surprised how challenging a question that can be. For many people, particularly those who have struggled with weight loss, that number is the absolute key. They can wake up, feeling energised and full of life, slip into those jeans that used to live hopefully in the bottom of the drawer, check themselves in the mirror and love what they see... then they step on the scales, see the number is half a kilo

Is being polite sabotaging your weight loss?

I've been thinking a lot lately about the barriers that make it hard for people to stick to healthy habits, or even take them up in the first place. My personal training clients are a lovely bunch, and one thing I can certainly say is that none of them have come to me completely uninformed about healthy eating. Most people have done some homework before they get to the point of hiring me, and while I always go over the basics (never assume anything) I know that when I tell them stuff like this, it's not new information to them: Eat less to lose weight Eat protein with every meal Eat 5 portions of fruit and veg a day Consume high sugar and fat treats rarely and in moderate portions Drink water with every meal or snack Exercise regularly That's not rocket science, so why are so many people still struggling with it? Is it because "the rules" are more complicated? Are they missing the "weird trick" (spoiler alert, there are no weird tricks

My top apps for supporting a healthy lifestyle.

The hardest part of making healthy choices and lifestyle changes is making it a habit. It's easy to make a decision to "eat better", "exercise more" or whatever your current plan is. It's a lot harder to stick to it on the rough days, for long enough that it becomes a habit and part of your life that you can't imagine being without. I love a bit of tech. I am a super geeky science nerd and finding ways to use technology to support my health and fitness makes me very happy. So with this in mind I thought I'd give a quick run down of my favourite smartphone apps for developing and maintaining healthy habits. Habitica I'm starting with this one because it's mad and I love it. Habitica is basically a to-do list app, but it's specially for the gamers among us. If you are familiar with Dungeons and Dragons, and all the games that grew out of that system and fantasy world, you will recognise Habitica. The app allows you to create 3 t

What's the deal with yoga and hypermobility?

I wanted to address a question today that keeps coming up on various hypermobility and EDS forums that I frequent. It comes up so often in fact that I feel like I have to write this all up in one place, to save me 1000s of key strokes of individual responses and distil some of my opinions and thought processes on the matter. It always goes like this. Someone asks a question like "I've just been diagnosed with hypermobility, I've been told I can't do yoga anymore..." The responses are always a mixture of "yes, my doctor/physio told me yoga was the worst thing I could do for my hypermobility" and "I do yoga and it's been the best thing for my hypermobility". So what gives? Well, I'm firmly in the "yoga is useful" camp, and I have to disclose that. I'm a yoga practitioner of around 20 years and a perinatal yoga teacher , as well as a personal trainer and bendy person. While I have the deepest respect for the medic